Redefining Diet Quality
- To define a process for developing internationally useful, adaptable Dietary Quality (DQ) Indicators. These indicators must be useful for action.
- To use food balance or other information to evaluate DQ based on an appropriate range of intake of specific foods.
- To identify ways in which DQ could be improved in various environments, including agricultural and food processing and preservation strategies, with emphasis on the importance of having access to locally available quality foods, and traditional foods. Other approaches would include nutrition education, and novel strategies.
- Importantly, to obtain evidence-based data that increasing dietary quality is feasible, and effective.
- To identify ways to introduce the concept of DQ into the goals of national and international agencies, governments, and other relevant organizations